Did you know?
Replacing a correct size fuse with a larger size fuse can present a serious fire hazard? Always check to see that fuses are the correct size for the circuit.
Power Miser Home
Building a new home? Energy-efficiency features can help you conserve energy for years to come. Cleco offers rebates and a discount on electric bills to customers who build Power Miser certified homes.
Lower Energy Bills
Build a Power Miser home and you'll receive a special 10% discount on your Cleco bills for energy used from November through April for the first five years you live in the home.
To participate in the Power Miser Home Program, your new home must be built to Power Miser Standards as listed below.
Standards for Qualification
- All HVAC and water heating must be electric.
- The home must receive electric service from Cleco.
- Electric heating and cooling:
- Heat pump (SEER of 14 or greater) or high efficiency air conditioning (*SEER of 14 or greater) with resistance heat
- Ductwork fully insulated with branch duct R-6 and plenum R-4
- If metal ductworks are used, install 2" of foil-backed or vinyl-backed insulation.
- Insulation with these R-Values:
- Ceiling - minimum R-30 (R-21 acceptable if cathedral or vaulted ceiling; R-19 required in knee-wall area)
- Exterior Wall Cavity - minimum R-13
- Floors (other than slab) - minimum R-13
- Seal sole plate, windows, doors and any other openings into conditioned space.
- Exterior doors with weather-stripping:
- Metal insulated
- Solid core wood
- Fiberglass insulated
- Double-pane glass door
Adequate attic ventilation utilizing ridge vent, wind or power turbine or gable vent and soffit vent. Unventilated attics are acceptable.
- Kitchen and laundry equipment must be all-electric, although gas ranges and dryers are acceptable.
Homes with distinctive features, and/or characteristics may qualify as Power Miser homes by meeting standards 1-5, and by having an acceptable cooling requirement (maximum Heat Gain, 16 BTU/hour per sq. ft. of conditioned area).
* Only homes with a qualified heat pump are eligible for a $1,000 rebate.
After your home is complete, you must submit a Power Miser Verification Form to receive the 10% discount on your Cleco bill. This form must be sent to Cleco within 60 days of home completion. A signature is required. Please print this form, fill it out and mail it to us at the following address:
Power Miser Home Program
P.O. Box 5000
Pineville, LA 71361-5000
Power Miser is one of several resources available to Cleco customers building new homes. Check out the links below for additional advice about energy efficiency and possible rebate money available.