The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), a federally funded program, assists eligible low-income households with their heating and cooling energy costs, including bill payment assistance and/or energy crisis assistance. Each state has different rules about when you can apply, how you apply and the criteria you have to meet in order to get help. In Louisiana, funds are administered by the Louisiana Housing Corporation (LHC) and distributed by community action agencies throughout the state.
How it works:
- Applicant must be responsible for the household energy bill.
- Applicant must have an active heating/cooling utility account.
- Applicant may only receive one LIHEAP benefit each season.
Heating: November 15 – March 15
Cooling: April 1 – September 30
Crisis: October 1 – September 30
Click here for state median income levels.
What you need to apply:
- Recent copies of your utility bills
- Last four consecutive copies of check stubs for employed household members
- Proof of unearned income (Social Security, Unemployment Insurance, Pension Funds, Disability, etc.)
- Disconnect notice (if you received a shut-off notice from your energy company)
- Proof of present address (rent receipt, lease or deed, etc.)
- Driver’s license or picture ID of head of household and (his/ her) Social Security card
- Proof of total members living in your household and their Social Security cards
- Additional information may be required to determine your eligibility for energy assistance
Who to contact:
To apply, contact a community action agency near you. Agencies in Cleco Power's service territory are below. A list of all agencies in the state is available on the LHC website at www.lhc.la.gov/energy-assistance.
Allen Action Agency
8838 Hwy. 165, Oberlin, LA 70655
Avoyelles Progress Action Committee
641 Government St., Marksville, LA 71351
Beauregard Community Action Association
219 West 2nd St., DeRidder, LA 70634
Calcasieu Parish Police Jury/ Human Services Department
2001 Moeling St., Lake Charles, LA 70601
(337) 721-4030, (337) 721-3550, (337) 721-4033, (337) 721-4020
Cenla Community Action Committee
2011 MacArthur Dr., Bldg. 1, Alexandria, LA 71301
Desoto Parish Office of Community Services
404 Polk Street, Ste. B, Mansfield, LA 71052
Evangeline Community Action Agency
403 West Magnolia, Ville Platte, LA 70586
Jefferson Community Action Programs
1221 Elmwood Park Blvd., Ste. 402, Jefferson, LA 70123
LaSalle Community Action Assn.
825 Hwy. 8, Sicily Island, LA 71368
Natchitoches Office Of Community Services
1016 Keyser Ave., Natchitoches, LA 71457
(318) 357-2220, (800) 419-1354
Quad Area Community Action Agency
45300 N. Baptist Rd, Hammond
St. Landry Parish Community Action Agency
1065 Hwy. 749, Opelousas, LA 70570
Smile (St. Martin, Iberia, Lafayette) Community Action Agency
501 St. John St., Lafayette, LA 70502
St. Mary Community Action Agency
1407 Barrow St., Franklin, LA 70538
St. Tammany Parish Community Action Agency
520 Old Spanish Trail, Ste. 3-C, Slidell, LA 70458
(985) 646-2090, (985) 893-3923
Vernon Community Action Council
12286 Lake Charles Hwy., Leesville, LA 71446
(337) 404-7710, (337) 404-7711