Skip to Navigation Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer

Coughlin Power Station

Background Image: Coughlin Power Station
 
St. Landry, Evangeline Parish
Plant Type: Combined-cycle
Fuel Source: Natural Gas
Total Nameplate Capacity: 775 megawatts

In March 2014, Cleco Power assumed 100 percent ownership of Coughlin Power Station. Cleco Midstream LLC, the former wholesale power subsidiary of former Cleco Corporation, transferred the unit to Cleco Power after approval by state and federal officials. 

Coughlin began commercial operations in 1948. In 1999 and 2000, employees and contractors refurbished two aging generating units at Coughlin to help meet the growing energy needs of customers in Louisiana.

The 775-megawatt plant is fueled by natural gas and uses combined-cycle technology to produce efficient and reliable power. Coughlin's fuel efficiency and state-of-the-art pollution controls help preserve our natural resources.

The plant was recognized as a top combined-cycle plant in a 2002 special report on leading U.S. plants by Power Magazine. Evangeline, as Coughlin was known at the time, operated under the umbrella of Cleco Midstream and was ranked number three among the top 50 combined-cycle power plants in production costs for 2001.