Reading, writing and electrical safety
PINEVILLE, La. – As the school bell rings in a new academic year, Cleco reminds parents, students and teachers to practice electrical safety in the classroom, dorm room and off-campus housing.
“In the rush of preparing classrooms and setting up living arrangements for college-aged student, it is easy to overlook electrical safety,” said John Melancon, general manager of safety for Cleco. “There are safe ways to use electricity and avoid potential fire hazards. We teach by example, so it is important to keep classrooms safe.”
Before using electrical or extension cords, check them for damage. Also, never tie cords or knot them together. For those who are leaving home for the first time, reviewing electrical safety information could help save a life. According to The Center for Campus Fire Safety, since January 2000, 85 percent of campus-related fire fatalities have occurred off-campus.
“No one thinks of a dorm room or classroom as dangerous, but putting an electrical appliance near water creates a hazard regardless of the location,” said Melancon. “Informing the public on using electricity safely to avoid electrical shock is our first priority, and we want parents and teachers to join us in this effort. Talk to your students as they leave for college and remind them of the importance of being safe in all aspects of life, including electrical safety.”
According to Cleco, use a surge protector, not just a power strip, to protect sensitive electrical devices, such as computers, and when charging mobile devices. “While our system is designed to safely handle many situations, uncontrollable events can put electrical equipment at risk,” said Mike Joseph, Cleco’s risk manager. “One way to lower the risk of damage to electrical equipment is to purchase a surge protector.”